Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rain Barrel

Or, as I usually call it - "my kick-ass rain barrel." That's 275 gallons, baby. Someone pointed out that I should have a picture of someone standing by it, for scale, but I still don't have such a picture. It's about 4' tall.

The water comes in from the downspout off the roof gutters (duh).

It overflows through these holes onto the "lawn" if it gets too full.

And I can attach a regular garden hose to its faucet.


I know - it's ugly.

So we planted a passiflora vine to cover it, and because of my obession with growing things I can eat, we searched out a passiflora that is supposed to produce good fruit.


It's filling in nicely, and has begun to bloom.

4 comments:

Darx said...

I wondered what that thing was. Thought it might be some kind of a/c unit or something (wasn't really examining the photo too closely). Rock on with your edible camouflage!

Bill Bird said...

I like it! And since the city is bound and determined to peek into our water usage -- well -- you're looking at a wise use of a natural resource that we get a lot of.

Jester said...

what an awesome "Rain Barrel"! Did you make it yourself? Can't say I ever saw anything like it before. It is so well planned out to. I owuld love to have one that I can use a hose with. NICE JOB!!

meemsnyc said...

Wow, that is a lot of water! Nice! Our rainbarrels only hold 40 gallons each barrel. We have 2. Small compared to yours.