Monday, July 12, 2010

Harvest (so far)

Here is some of what I have harvested so far in 2010:

If you know boysenberries, then you know some of these are not ripe (and yes, those ones were tart!).

This was my first attempt at growing potatoes, so I was happiest of all about these - all 6 1/2 pounds of them. The harvest was made all the more fun because it happened while my sister and her family were visiting, so my 6 year old niece took the role of spotting the potatoes and reaching in to grab them as I turned the soil with my garden fork.
I forgot that I wanted to take a picture until we had washed the amount we were using for dinner one night. Thus the odd presentation.


The harvest was also made all the more fun because my sweetie had just started complaining about the dying potato plants, and why should we keep spending money on plants if I'm not going to take care of them? Which triggered something in my brain: "hm...didn't I read somewhere that the vines start to die off when the potatoes are ready to harvest?" I was vindicated.

2 comments:

Darx said...

I love the bit about your sweetie and the potato plants. Vindication is sweet :)

Bill Bird said...

Nice berries! My one year old Blackberry has got some fruit on it this year. But the vines that will produce next year are now at five feet and counting -- and the plant continues to throw out new vines. Since fruit forms on one year old vines -- I can only imagine what next year will bring!